Sunday, August 31, 2008

Bus Calling

Saturday Matt, Phillip and I went calling on our bus route. We are not the bus captains but the captains were all away this weekend so we filled in. We are very familiar with the route and the children so it was a pretty easy task. To navigate through the city I usually try to do the driving and let Matt hop out and knock on doors. That way if we need to move the car or are in a spot where there isn't good parking I can just move. As I was sitting waiting for him to go from house to house talking with the kids I looked around and realized our city is in deep trouble. We were in drug neighborhoods and they were not even being secret about it. Matt asked one dad where his son was since we hadn't seen him in a while on the bus and the dad said he was in rehab for drugs. He is only 14 years old! There were several situations we saw as we went along our route that made us pray even harder for each family. We could have spent the entire day just talking with the families but we had to move on. Some came to the car and talked to me and were very open sharing what they were going through. I really am inspired to pray more for these families. I think every Sunday School teacher should go with a bus captian periodically to see the things their students are dealing with. I enjoy bus calling but it isn't always possible for me to go and still take care of my own children. As it was Phillip was with me this week and read grafitti on the side of a house while we were parked in an alley and I turned around quick to see why he was saying what he was and told him not to read the stuff on the walls. Fortunately he didn't even know what he was reading. He is just learning to read and sound words out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Laurie, I don't know if you remember me. My maiden name was Wetherald and I remember you and Matt attending our church when we lived in Salisbury, NC. I well remember Matt playing the guitar and harmonica! Just thought I'd say hi.

laurie said...

Is your father Randy Weatherald? I do remember your family but I am not good with names. I remember you had a sister and a brother right?