Wednesday, September 19, 2007

One of Life's Lessons

I am a teacher so I know some of the situations teachers are put in and things they have to deal with. I am also a mother of four and sometimes I just don't know which way to go with things. Austin brought home his weekly folder with his papers and tests from the week. They are full of minus 1pt for the name or title being on the wrong side of the paper, minus 5 points for being turned in a day late, and one had a mius 10points because he accidently took the paper home in a folder that he should have left at school. All of this is off graded papers so I am now wondering if when I get his report card I will be seeing grades that reflect bad habits or academics. I understand the need for them to learn to turn things in on time and to follow directions. I'm just wondering if we should be taking points off from tests and graded papers for this. Maybe it's just one of those hard lessons they have to learn. I am not there in class but I do know my kids have problems following directions at home so if taking points off a test will help them with that I guess it's worth it. By the way, Austin is in 6th grade. I am holding my tongue for now because I feel the teacher is trying to establish a sense of responcibility here but I will be so disappointed if Austin misses the honor roll for this.

2 comments:

JenLo said...

I think it is better for them to learn those lessons in 6th grade than in high school. My boy tends to be disorganized too, but he's lost a few points on papers and he has really started trying to keep track of things better.

laurie said...

Thanks, I agree. I hope he learns now. Matt says you were a big help to him in High School when he didn't write assignments down or didn't understand what was expected.