Monday, August 20, 2007

Encouraged

I teach the 8 year old class at our church and really enjoy doing so. For some time now I have felt burdened to try and teach more scripture through songs and memory games. A few weeks ago I came to class hoping to play a game of review with some verses I was sure everyone already knew. I picked John 3:16 as my first verse and quickly discovered not one child knew this verse! I was shocked. These are 8 year old children. They do not all come on a regular basis but I still thought they would have heard this verse along the way somewhere. I was wrong. Well, I now had a starting point and we spent our memory time learning that verse.

Each week since I have had them repeat that verse and I have refered to that verse more than once through each story telling them God So Loved Them. And He made a way that we could have everlasting life! I told them last week that if they could say that verse they may choose 2 pieces of candy from the basket as the left the room. As they each said the verse I had one child that attempted to say it over and over and the more he tried and failed the more upset he was becoming. I finally took him aside and told him if he could answer the questions I was going to ask him, he could choose 2 candies. I started the verse, "For God
Child - "For God"
Myself - What did God do?
Child - "He loved the world"
Myself - "He so loved the world that He did what?"
Child - " Gave His Son"
Myself - " Who did he give His Son for?"
Child - "Whoever believes in God"
Myself - " Whosoever believeth in Him shall not what?"
Child - "Perish"
Myself - "What does that mean?"
Child - "Die"
Myself- "Will not perish but have what?"
Child - "Everlasting life"
Myself - "And where in the Bible can someone find this verse?"
Child - "John 3:16"

Now this may sound very basic but this child has a learning disability and is diagnosed ADHD. He has a very hard time sitting still in the class but with those helping in the class we try to engage him in as much of the activity as we can because he learns better with full envolvement. For some reason that I do not know, he was simply unable to repeat the verse word for word even though he has had plenty of review and always knows what word comes next. I was very encouraged that he knew the reference and knew the meaning of the verse. I feel like we have taught him John 3:16 even though he can't say it the way most children do.

I want to drill them in as much scripture as I possibly can. If anyone has ideas on review games to help them learn scripture I would love to hear from you. My favorite way to teach them is through song so I would also like any scripture choruses you might know as well.

1 comment:

JenLo said...

That is wonderful! I know what you mean about the shock. I could not believe it when a couple of my unsaved girlfriends admitted to me that their children do not even know who Jesus is.