Saturday, November 24, 2007

Black Friday

I hesitate to tell this because I have been accused of bragging and I never meant to do anything of the kind! What I did was confer with my sister-in-law in North Carolina and my sister in Arkansas and we all planned to hit the stores early in the morning trying to get a laptop computer at a great price. I planned to go to Staples since that was closest to me and they planned to go to Circuit City. They were there and in line one at midnight and the other at 1am. I didn't think that was necessary so I slept until 3am and went in by 4am. We were on the phones to each other talking about how cold it was and we had chairs and blankets trying to stay warm so we could be one of the first customers. My sister said some had portable heaters and had even built fires to keep warm. I was number 10 in line and the only fires we had were at the end of cigarettes! That was so nasty! I would cover my head in my blanket when they would light up so I wouldn't gag. Anyway, I got the call that my sister-in-law didn't get a voucher at 5am after waiting all that time. She left and went to another store eventually getting what she needed. She had a friend with her and was going to get one for me if she could but now I saw that was out. A little bit later my sister called to tell me she didn't get one either but shortly after that they came out and I got the voucher. My sister had stayed there all night waiting to get me that computer. She didn't need one herself but was doing that for me! I was so thankful. I am also glad that I went in myself too and am now the new owner of a laptop computer! I have never had a laptop and the computer I've used for years is a compilation of several computers that my brother built for me. This was all so exciting for me that I guess I over did it and shared my enthusiasum one too many times and made someone feel like I was gloating. (They have a laptop and 2 computers themselves!) If they had bought one I know I would have been happy for them and not thought much more about it. I am thinking of inviting my dad over for dinner tomorrow. ( I need someone to show me how to hook up the wireless connections and the new printer I got for free with the laptop but don't tell anyone. I don't want to brag) I need to go work out my dough now, I'm baking rolls tonight. We went through 5 dozen on Thanksgiving day and my kids are wanting more so I'll do up another 5 dozen and hopefully be able to freeze some.

5 comments:

Leora Schenck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leora Schenck said...

Laurie~
I am so happy you got your laptop!!! YAY! I do not feel that it is wrong to be excited about what a great buy you found! And I do not think that is bragging.

laurie said...

Thanks Leora, I felt like my bubble had burst but I bounce right back. I am touched that you and Sharron went to all that trouble to try to help me get one. I owe you guys big time.

Meowzers said...

You are gonna LOVE that laptop! I got my first one last Christmas too. And hey, after standing in line all that time, you deserve to gloat just a little ;)

AmberDawn said...

Laurie -- Woo hooo for you!! I think I have an idea of how exciting that is for you - my husband and I don't have a computer and are trying to save here and there so we can get one before too long and I know I'd be thrilled if we were able to get one -- and I know I'd be telling everybody, too.